Friday, September 21, 2012

Black Rice


     Black rice is my current favorite rice.  It is a little sweet a little nutty tasting and overall great for you.  The package I got at Costco says that it is "loaded with antioxidants, vitamins E and fiber. . .one serving has as many antioxidants as a single serving of cultivated blueberries."
     The first three times I served it to my kids, they were very unsure, skeptical, and verbally complained that I would serve such a strange thing.  They have accepted now that I'm going to keep cooking it, and now all eat it just fine.
     I cooked the rice with two cloves of garlic, minced.  When it cooled I added,
1 jalapeno
1 red pepper
1/2 c. corn
1/2 pound  ground sausage
Then I served the mixture in green peppers. 

    With the left overs, a few days later, I sauted garlic, onion and baby kale in the skillet then combined it with the rice mixture.  The flavors were yummy and the rice very filling. 
     I have had several people ask me where I get my kale.  I usually get it where other greens are sold, like spinach and collards.   Most recently, I noticed at Safeway, they have a baby kale in a plastic container.  It worked great for the above recipe. 
     Trying new things is intimidating for some.  I know for me I have learned to like kale because of the health benefits.
  Friends, live well, eat well.

No comments:

Post a Comment