Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Sneaking Squash





     I put a yellow squash in my enchilada pie.  I used mostly squash, leftover steak pieces, olives, sauce, covered with a cornbread topping.  Nobody in my family noticed it had squash. 
       I took a very mild delicata squash and added it to my white sauce over noodles.  I have also added butternut squash to my Mexican soup. 
     I went to my daughters kindergarten classroom and read the book "Sophie's Squash."  It is about a little girl who takes the butternut squash she got a a farmers market and makes it her playmate.  She then plants "her"and waits.  Then at the end of summer gets two more playmates.  It is such a cute book.  Just like the girl in the book I'm also all about squash this time of year.  I try to incorporate it 2-3 times a week.  Acorn, butternut, delicata, spaghetti squash are also just great roasted in the oven and eaten with and pepper.  I hide them in dishes to get my family to eat them.  I find it is worth the time to roast them. 
 I love squash!  I put it on my mantle.

No comments:

Post a Comment