Friday, April 27, 2012

Homemade Baked Beans

Eating outside
BBQ's
Baked Beans
Three things that seem to go together.



     I have been tinkering with my baked bean recipe for several years.  My Grandma Faith shared with me how she made hers in the crock pot.   My tips are to help you be a success if you have never tried it.  Jump in and try it, and say good bye to canned beans.  You need a crock pot and the willingness to plan ahead.
     The following is for a large batch.  Perfect for family gatherings or potlucks.  I use fresh onion and garlic and soak my beans for at least six hours.
Baked Beans
3 cups dry small navy beans
2 cloves garlic minced
1/2 chopped sweet onion (if you are a big onion fan add the whole thing)
1/3 c molasses
1/3 c honey
1/2 cup Ketchup (no high fructose corn syrup kind)
1/2 cup BBQ sauce
1 tsp. mustard powder (or a small squeeze of yellow mustard)
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp pepper
If you prefer a meaty taste I have used a ham hock or added a polish sausage
I drain and rinse beans, then mix these all together in crock pot.  Add just enough water to slightly cover beans.
I put it on high for four hours in the crock pot. 
The last hour check and add some water if they look dry.
Before serving, I usually add a little more BBQ sauce or a little salt.
I say, why not have fancy beans.  When done right, they are a fabulous side dish.  The flavoring possibilities are endless.  My husband especially likes the beans with the ham hock, and the kids like it if I add extra honey.  Hooray for eating outside and for baked beans.  
Since as a whole I'm eating less meat, beans are a perfect way for me to still feel like I'm getting that BBQ experience.  Lately, for me, I'm trying to fill up on plant based protein and not relying on animal protein.
Thanks for stopping by my blog.   I hope you get to eat outside real soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment