Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Chocolate Granola Bars

I must admit we are slightly addicted to granola bars.  We eat them in the car, on the go, if we are near or traveling far.  This is part of of lifestyle with four kids who are in sports and church activities.  I started making my own granola bars, because, it is simple, and then I know what the ingredients are.  
I main kinds I stick to are, Chocolate and Coconut.


Chocolate Granola bars Total time to make about 30 min.
preheat 350 degrees, grease 8x8 pan
2 c. oatmeal
1 c. flour (white or wheat, both work fine)
1/2 c. chopped almonds
In sauce pan combine on medium heat
6 T. butter
1/2-3/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. honey
stir until smooth
add 3-4 T. cocoa powder
Take off heat
add tsp. vanilla
Cool for 5 min.
add 1 egg and stir
Pour over oat mixture.  Mix until all is coated well.  Press(I use my hands) in greased 8x8 pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 16-18 min.  Let cool completely before slicing. 
Tip: I tried to add more oats or more flour, it made it crumbly, not staying together.  they key is to get all the oats coated well with sauce mixture.
For a different variety, I add 1/2 cup shredded coconut and omit the cocoa powder.    Other possible add ins would be raisins, min chocolate chips, or peanut butter.
Fact:  Oatmeal is a good source of soluble fiber.  Eat your oats! 
Come back and leave a comment if you try this yummy recipe.  Let me know what your kids think.

1 comment:

  1. I am so making these this week!! I think I'll add coconut and make them "almond joy" granola bars! Thanks Rosie!

    ReplyDelete