Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Rhubarb

     
     Rhubarb, oh, glorious rhubarb.  Winnie the Pooh goes on a honey hunt, I go on a rhubarb hunt.  As I drive around in the town close to where I live, I see the mammoth green leaves in many gardens, back alleys, and side flower gardens.  
     This year my friend gave me a load of it.  I am working on getting my own plant to thrive (it takes a few years to establish a transplant.)  Which is oddly enough the way I feel every time I move to a new house.  Establishing a home takes a bit of time.  We have lived in our new home almost two years.  I feel my roots going deeper and deeper now.


     This tart stringy plant is amazing when paired with sugar.  Cobblers, crisps, pies, and strawberry freezer jam are my favorite.
     I recruit help from family members and we chop, and chop and chop.  It takes about 20-30 cups to make enough for my jam recipe. 
     My son often says, "I'm hungry."  I had him help me make this cobbler.  I think it helps my kids appreciate a dessert when they get to help.
The kids rode bikes and I ran a mile to go get the ice cream.  It made me feel a little less guilty about eating it knowing I had burned some calories pre eating it. Rhubarb Cobbler
6 c. chopped Rhubarb
3/4 c. sugar mixed with rhubarb
biscuit topping:
2 c. unbleached all purpose flour
2 T. sugar
2 T. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. butter
1 egg
1/2  c. milk or yogurt
1 whole lemon zest
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  For topping:  Cut butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles coarse crumbs.  Add wet ingredients, just until combined.  Spread over rhubarb and sugar in 9x13 pan.
Bake for 30-45 min until toothpick comes out clean of biscuits.
Best served with ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment