Friday, January 13, 2012

Soup Time

When it is cold, I want soup.  I get excited about it.  Not everyone in my family shares my enthusiasm.  It warms me, and fills me up.  It is a great way to get veggies to taste super delish. 

I recently made a Butternut Squash soup.  This is a soup I made specifically for me to eat. I don't make everyone in my family eat it (they aren't fans of pureed soup.)  I love it so much!   I ate this particular batch of soup for three days in a row.  Our youngest tried a taste.


Butternut Squash Soup
This is a large batch
2 carrots
2 apples
4 cups butternut squash cubed
2 tsp tturmeric
nutmeg, cardamon and clove to taste
(add the flavors you prefer)
Put all this in a large pot, cover with water or broth.  Then boil for 20 min.  You can use an immersion blender or regular blender, working in batches.
Since this is a puree soup, it works really well with a crunchy bread, sunflower seeds or crackers on top.


Sweet Potato Parsley
Ingredients:  sweet potato, brown rice, celery, onion, garlic, curry powder, chopped parsley, and chicken broth

Tip:  Sweet potatoes can get mushy fast.  Watch closely, to not overcook.  The curry powder is what makes this soup come together.

Over the past 13 years I have made many grilled cheese sandwiches.  We have fun with them now compared to yesteryear of Wonder bread and American cheese (which aren't allowed in the house anymore.)

 Turkey and Basil

 
We now also like to add, rosemary (fresh or dried) and experiment with different cheeses.  My personal favorite is tuna or smoked salmon on a grilled sandwiches.
Soup and sandwiches are a favorite combo, especially on a saturday afternoon. What are your favorites? 

No comments:

Post a Comment