Saturday, February 11, 2012

Party Foods

Party food is fun.  I try to offer may fruits and vegetables to keep it healthy.  My daughter and I recently made a fruit bouquet.   Beware, the skewers are sharp.  We poked ourselves a few times.  Grapes are such a beautiful color.


When ever I am invited to a party, I offer to bring a veggie tray.  It is in my own best interest to offer to bring a veggies.  First, when I am preparing it, I can nibble on veggies, rather than a sweet treat.  Second, knowing that vegetables will be at the party,  I can fill up on low calorie veggies like carrots and red peppers and still have a treat.


My most favorite salsa to serve at almost any type of party is Fresh Salsa.  It is such a scrumptious dip for tortilla chips.



My recipe for Fresh Salsa:
6-7 Roma tomatoes diced
1 med. Red onion diced
1/2 small jalapeno diced
1 whole bunch of cilantro roughly chopped
1 small can green chilies
1-2 cloves garlic minced
salt and pepper
Combine all these in a bowl and let it sit over night in the fridge.  This allows for all the flavors to combine and meld together.
Each bite tastes juicy, fresh, with little kick of summer.  I love it!
Another favorite is a Layered Dip

Layers of refried beans, sour cream/cream cheese mixture, cheese, tomato, olive, green onion and cilantro.  My friend brought this over to my house.  It was tempting to eat too much, it tasted really good.  It also brought back memories of when I was at my heaviest weight.  I use to open a can of refried beans and eat the whole thing by myself for lunch.  The salt in one can is not meant for one person.  I now often make my own low salt refried beans or stick to whole cooked black beans.   My friend ate her dip with veggies as her dipping scoop rather than chips.  I thought that was a really good choice.
Whatever your party foods are, have fun, eat well and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment