Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Snow, Rain, Sun and Granola

There is a song by Jaime Grace that says, "the sun came out for me today." That is my theme for this moment.  Snow yesterday, rain,sun, and sweet granola today.




With snow still on the ground here, my thoughts are on summer time.  I keep thinking about wearing flip flops, the sun and taking granola to the beach.  The lake is a great place to eat it.  When my kids ate it, all the crumbs would fall on the sand.  The ducks would gather the crumbs later after all the beach people left.  A win for everyone!  The "Sweet Almond Granola" recipe is at the end of this post. 

Today, on this snow, rain, sun kind of day,  I have revised my health goals.  I think for success, you have to be aware of what is working for you physically and emotionally.  I had set goals in January under the post "A Plan."  I am getting even more specific with my goals. 

1.  Be active everyday and sign up for races. (journal my miles)
2.  Stick to my menu plan, writing it out weekly
3.  Drink 60 oz of clear liquids daily

I am signing up for my first fun run of the season.  Life Run 2012 set for April 28th in Colville Washington.  It is a 5k.  I have been only jogging for one week, and realize I need to build up my stamina.  Taking a winter long break from running has consequences.  My plan is to build up over the next 7 weeks.  If you are interested in this race go to N.E.W. Family Life Services website http://www.familylifeservices.net/  to find out more.



Sometimes the sweet tooth wins.  The recipe for this granola is full fat, full sugar.  It isn't my ideal healthy recipe, please use a measuring cup and  limit it to 1/2 cup per serving. Pairing it with a plain or vanilla Greek yogurt (high in protein) is excellent.
Sweet Almond Granola
4-5 cups quick cook oatmeal
1 stick butter
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup almonds
dash of cinnamon
On stove in a small sauce pan melt 1 stick of butter and sugar.  Bring to a simmer for 3-5 min.  Take off the heat and add 2 tsp.  vanilla.  Pour over oats, cinnamon and almonds that have been roughly chopped.  Stir until sugar mixture coats that oats.  Bake at 325 degrees for 20-30 min.  Check and Stir every 10 min. Depending on baking sheets you own you may need to do this in two batches.

No comments:

Post a Comment